Enforcing Orders for Child Support

The state of Connecticut looks to both parents, married or not, to support the physical and emotional well-being of their children. A divorce cannot be granted until issues of child custody and financial support are settled. Even then, you may have difficulty collecting child support ordered by the court. Understanding services available to help you is important.

Following a divorce or child support proceeding, an order may be entered granting child support to either the mother or father of the children. The Connecticut Child Support Payment Resource Center is the entity charged with processing and distributing child support throughout the state. Payment is usually received through income withholding.

If child support from the noncustodial parent ceases, the matter can be referred to Support Enforcement Services (SES). With substantial power to pursue and collect back-child support, SES helps in the following ways:

  • Contempt proceedings: Noncustodial parents who do not pay child support can be found guilty by the court. If found in contempt of the child support order, the parent can be incarcerated until the person makes a lump sum payment on the obligation.
  • Withholding: SES is empowered to intercept and withhold income from wages, retirement benefits, bonuses and any other income of the responsible party. SES may also seize bank accounts and tax returns and place liens on real property until payments are made.
  • Regulatory: SES can suspend a driver license and professional license 30 days after the money is overdue.

Using the above-mentioned services gives you access to the best collection agencies in the state to help you provide for your child.

If you have questions about child support modification or support in Connecticut, talk to an experienced divorce attorney in West Hartford.